Looking to transfer to San Jac from another US school as an international student? You are eligible to transfer as long as your F-1 status is valid at the time of transfer, and you may be admitted for any semester throughout the year. Note that there cannot be more than a 5-month gap between the last day of attendance at your previous school or the last day of Post Optional Practical Training (OPT) and your first day at San Jacinto College.

Application Priority Dates

Admission documents must be received on or before the priority date listed below. If your application is completed after the priority date, your admission will be deferred to the next available semester.


Priority Date

Fall (classes begin in August)

August 1st

Spring <(classes begin in January)

January 1st

Summer (classes begin in June)

May 15th

Note:There may be certain Academic programs that F-1 international students are not allowed to enroll in. View a list of those programs.

Register for a Virtual Information Session

Learn about the required documentation and application process for transfer students residing in the US. These sessions are held via Zoom. After registering, check your email inbox for registration confirmation and instructions for joining the meeting.

No sessions are scheduled at this time.

How to Apply

Figuring out how to apply to San Jacinto College as a transfer student residing in the US can be confusing, but we’re here to help. There are three general steps you’ll need to complete in order to apply and enroll: 
  1. Gather required admission documents

  2. Submit admission documents

  3. Finalize your enrollment

How to Gather Required Admission Documents


Please review the following information and gather the required documents as it applies to you: 

If you're transferring from another academic program at a college or university in the U.S., you will need to gather unofficial copies of transcripts from all previous colleges and universities you’ve attended.  Unofficial transcripts will only be used for processing your admission. We’ll still need an official transcript to enroll you in courses.

Proof of U.S. high school equivalency completion is required. International transcripts must be evaluated by an approved agency. A list of agences that can approve international transcripts can be found here. 

If you’re transferring from an English Language Institute, please review the minimum test score requirements for admission:

  • TOEFL - 525 (paper-based test) or 70 (internet-based test) 
  • IELTS - Band 6 range
  • Accuplacer ESL - You must achieve the minimum score for each section:
  • Reading: 110
  • Writer Placer: 6
  • Sentence Meaning: 109
  • Language Use: 109
  • Listening: 93

Exemption from the English Language Proficiency Requirement may be granted due to:

  • two years attendance and graduation from a US high school and/or
  • successful completion of college-level English from a regionally accredited or committee-approved US college or university.

We want to make sure your education won’t be interrupted by lack of finances, so we require proof that you have financial support.  

If you’re bringing family, we will need proof of an additional $6,000 for your spouse and $3,500 for each dependent. This is the estimated educational and living expense for one year at San Jacinto College.

If you are planning on attending San Jacinto College with or without the help of a financial sponsor, please review the following information: 

  • Each student may have a maximum of two (2) sponsors
  • Sponsor(s) should complete the Affidavit of Support Form and submit one (1) additional piece of documentation below:
  • The most recent three (3) months of bank statements (checking and savings accounts only) on official bank letterhead from sponsor(s). The ending balance for each month must show the amount of at least $31,977.
  •  A statement/letter on bank letterhead signed by a bank official that certifies the sponsor’s name, average balance, and affirmation that deposits have been made over the last year. The letter must be recent as of three (3) months.
  • A letter from the sponsor’s employer on company letterhead signed by the sponsor’s supervisor, stating annual income. The letter must be recent as of three (3) months.
  • Most recent U.S. Income Tax Return. The Taxable Income must meet the minimum amount of financial support.
Note: All financial information must also include equivalencies in U.S. dollars.

Your dependent spouse and children (unmarried and under the age of 21) may apply for an F-2 visa to accompany you in the United States while you are in F-1 student status. 

In order to apply for an F-2 visa for your dependents, you will need:

  • Proof of marriage (for a spouse) - If the marriage certificate is not in English, please provide a copy of the marriage certificate and the official English translation.
  • Proof of birth (for a child) - If the birth certificate is not in English, please provide a copy of the birth certificate and the official English translation
  • Copy of passport page(s) showing name, date of birth, place of birth and citizenship for all dependents (spouse and children)

Be ready to have copies of the following travel documents:

  • Passport - First page of your passport showing your name, date of birth, and expiration date. Passport must be valid.
  • F-1 visa - Visa page from your passport or I-797 Notice of Action required.
  • I-94 card - I-94 card must reflect entrance under an F-1 visa. To get the most recent I-94 visit this site: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home.
  • Previous I-20s - Gather all I-20s issued from each institution attended under an F-1 visa.

The F-1 Memorandum of Understanding is an agreement between the United States and other countries that outlines the rules and regulations for international students studying in the US. It covers topics such as visas, academic standards, and employment opportunities.

Download the F-1 Memorandum of Understanding, read through it carefully, and complete the form. 

The I-20 Release Form is a document where you will list the email address to receive electronic admission documents. You can also allow the release of your admission status to a relative in the Houston area..

Download the I-20 Release Form and fill out all required fields. 

Note: If you’re accepted to San Jac, your acceptance documents will be sent to the email listed on this form.

The SEVIS Transfer Status Form is a document that informs our college if an F-1 student is allowed to transfer from one school to another within the US while maintaining their student status. 

First, notify an international student advisor at your current school that you intend to transfer. Next, download the SEVIS Transfer Status Form and fill out the top half. Then, have your international advisor at your current school fill out the bottom half.

How to Submit Admission Documents


As an open-admissions institution, San Jacinto College offers a free online application through Apply Texas.

To apply, set up an account and make sure you choose San Jacinto College in your application. When asked to submit your Social Security number, please leave it blank. Submit the application for the semester you intend to transfer. Applications are processed in 2 to 3 business days. 

Once your application is processed, you will receive a welcome email from San Jacinto College with your student ID number (also known as your G number) and the steps to claim your student account.

You must set up your student account to upload your electronic international admission forms. 

Make sure to enter the full address you used on your application to claim your student account.

For assistance claiming your account, contact Tech Support at 281-998-6137.

All international admission documents will be uploaded as PDF attachments under the Application for I-20 Form. 

To upload your documents, please follow these steps: 

  1. Open the Application for I-20 Form
  2. Log in to your student account. The username name will be your San Jacinto College Student G number. The password will be the password to your SOS student account.
  3. Select Transfer Application and complete all information.
  4. At the bottom of the form, upload all required documents in PDF format. 
  5. Electronically sign and submit the application.

Expect a response within 7 to 10 business days.

Once we receive all of your documents, International Student Services will process your file. 

Allow our office 7-10 business days to process your application.

You will receive an official International Student Transfer Acceptance Letter and further registration guidance. Submit this acceptance letter to your International Advisor so that they can schedule a date to transfer your SEVIS record to our institution.

You will need to submit an official transcript from each college or university you’ve attended. Transcripts are used to establish a Texas Success Initiative (TSI) exemption and completion of prerequisites.

Transcripts should be sent to: 

San Jacinto College - Records Management
13735 Beamer Road
Houston, TX 77089


Finalize Your Enrollment


Once your current institution finalizes the transfer of your SEVIS record to San Jacinto College, inform San Jac’s office of International Student Services.

A "Transfer Pending" I-20 will be issued once your SEVIS record is transferred.

All incoming Texas college students under the age of 22 must receive a vaccination or booster against bacterial meningitis prior to registration. 

Learn more about this requirement or contact admissions@sjcd.edu with any additional questions.

Already have your immunization? Find out how to submit records.

Transfer students with less than 12 credit hours must meet with a program advisor prior to registration.

Transfer students with more than 12 credit hours are not required to meet with a program advisor, but it is strongly recommended.

We recommend that you schedule an appointment with Advising

Please be prepared to present a valid photo ID at the start of your appointment (state, federal, San Jac or high school ID). If no ID is presented, any information shared will be limited.  

Questions? Contact Us.

For help determining your eligibility or with applying to San Jac as an undocumented student, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help.

Connect with Us
Julie La Combe
Coord, Intl Student Services
(281) 998-6150x3891